Our graphic highlights the top-funded tech startup in every European country, including unicorns like Sweden’s Klarna and Germany’s Auto1 Group.
Europe is home to prominent startup and innovation hubs across cities like Berlin, Stockholm, London, and more. But the tech boom is diffusing across the continent — and startups are emerging far beyond the established tech hotbeds.
Since 2015, nearly $117B has been invested across more than 22,400 equity deals to tech startups on the European continent.
This includes investments into leading tech companies such as delivery marketplace Glovo in Spain, music streaming platform Deezer in France, and transportation and ride-hailing network Bolt in Estonia.
Using CB Insights data, we identified the most well-funded VC-backed tech startup in each country in Europe. Collectively, the startups on our map have raised nearly $9B in disclosed equity funding.
See the full infographic below, and the complete list of startups at the end of this post.
Our analysis ranks companies based on total disclosed equity funding and only considers VC-backed tech companies that have raised an equity round since 2015. Companies must have raised a minimum of $1M in equity funding.
- The top-funded startup in Europe is Sweden-based Klarna, which offers a “buy now, pay later” e-commerce solution. The company has raised nearly $1.8B in disclosed equity funding.
- Rounding out the top 3 most well-funded startups in the region are food delivery service Deliveroo in the UK ($1.5B in disclosed equity funding) and used car marketplace Auto1 Group in Germany ($961M).
- Eight of the 37 companies featured in our map are unicorns with disclosed valuations of $1B+ (all tracked in real time on the CB Insights global unicorn club tracker). These unicorns are: Klarna ($10.7B valuation, Sweden), Bolt ($4.3B, Estonia), Auto1 Group ($3.5B, Germany), Deliveroo ($3.5B, UK), Collibra ($2.4B, Belgium), Deezer ($1.4B, France), Vinted ($1.1B, Lithuania), and Glovo ($1B, Spain).
- The region is home to 17 countries whose most well-funded tech startup has raised over $100M in equity funding. Only Klarna and Deliveroo have raised more than $1B in equity funding.
- The least well-funded startup on the map is Slovenia-based crypto payments solution provider Eligma, which has raised $4.4M in seed funding.
- Since our last update of this map in February 2020, only 1 featured startup has exited: UK-based OneWeb, which sold its assets to Bharti Enterprises and the UK government in July 2020.
|Company||Country||Total Equity Funding ($M)|
|Vivense Home & Living||Turkey||132|
|Mews Systems||Czech Republic||42|
|Minit||Slovakia (Slovak Republic)||11|
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity